Prep Your UAE Home Before You Travel For The Summer
The summer holidays are fast approaching and with it comes the mass exodus of us who choose to escape the UAE’s heatwave and return to either our home countries or vacation destinations. With what can feel like a million things to take care of and get organised with, aside from packing your suitcase, and triple-checking you have the necessary paperwork and your passports, one thing you should not neglect is making sure your home is properly prepped before you leave it to its own devices for the hot summer months. Living in the UAE, the chances of heavy winds and rain are immensely rare, so you’ll be pleased to know that having your roof inspected isn’t a top priority for summer travel, but read on for some handy hints and tips from home maintenence experts Tregoning Property & Tregoning Maintenance, to set you in the right direction and ensure a stress-free time away from your home sweet home:
- Unplugged – Make sure you unplug the electronics around your home that are not needed whilst you are away, including your tv, router, computer and chargers. Not only will this save your energy bill, but it will also lower the risk of fire too.
- Save Energy – If you are able to, set your thermostat to an ‘away’ setting which will help to save energy whilst you are away. Many of the newer, ‘smart’ thermostats will have this feature and can adjust the temperature setting when you are not at home.
- Time Your Lighting – Even though we are lucky to live in such a safe country, it’s always best to not be complacent and put your lights on timers. You can do this via analog outlet timers or use smart bulbs that you can control remotely.
- Lock Up – Check all your windows and doors thoroughly before you leave. Check all possible entry points around your home and make sure they are closed properly to avoid any sand or would-be thieves from getting inside.
- Throw It Out – Take out your trash! Sounds simple but who wants to come back from a two-week or month-long vacation to moldy food smells and an abundance of new pests?!
- Neighbourhood Watch – If you’re friendly with your neighbour you can ask them to keep an eye on your abode and keep in touch if they notice anything not quite right.
- Clear Out That Fridge! – Now is a perfect time to clean out your fridge, getting rid of any expired condiments and items lurking right at the back! If you are removing everything, you can leave it unplugged and defrosted whilst you are away.
- Water Consumption – Turn off the water in your home to avoid any unexpected plumbing leaks or floods while you are away. The exception to this being if you are planning on leaving you’re A/C on, or if you have a sprinkler system for the garden.
Now there’s nothing left but to have the most wonderful holiday safe in the knowledge your home is as prepared as can be! Happy holidays!