The place you gathered for BBQs, the table you sat at for family breakfasts with a gentle breeze and finished that lock-down puzzle. The beanbags and deckchairs you lazed on under pretty parasols, the patio where you sipped countless cups of tea/coffee in the early hours of the morning till late into the sunset. Your garden and all that adorns it has faired you well over the last winter and now it’s time for you to show it some tender loving care till you’re reunited in a few months.
Although most of us keep a keen eye on the dust levels, spills and splashes in our homes, the outside areas are often forgotten. Throw in the soaring rise in temperature and if you’re not careful, you’re looking at a recipe for disaster making it extra important to keep your outdoor areas clean and protected to last you longer.
Keep It Clean:
Tis’ the season of impromptu sandstorms and your outdoor tables, chairs and garden furniture can also become breeding grounds for bacteria brought by visiting birds and insects so don’t let this task pass you by. We find Zoflora to be an extremely versatile range for using both inside and outside the home –
- Spray your hard furniture and your wicker with water before using a soft brush dipped in some diluted Zoflora to get the trickier spaces clean, making sure that you don’t oversaturate your outdoor furniture with liquid to allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Remember to vacuum the soft furnishings of your outdoor furniture often to reduce debris build-up between cleans.
- Strip down the cushions and throw your covers in the washing machine on a gentle cycle. But make sure to read the care label first.
- Zoflora disinfectant is also great at keeping your patio clean. Use in a bucket of water and pour the solution over your patio, use a hard-bristled yard brush to scrub the surface, rinse with water and that’s it!
- Keeping kid’s play equipment safe and shielded from germs is usually amongst the top priorities for home hygiene. We recommend diluting 1 capful of your choice of Zoflora fragrance in a bucket containing 400ml of warm water and use this to wipe down all play apparatus and surfaces, killing harmful bacteria and adding a fresh smell.
- Tackle bad odours from your waste pipe outlet and drain by pouring 2 capfuls of neat Zoflora disinfectant straight down the drain to kill the bacteria that cause unpleasant odours.
Keep It Covered:
To protect from the elements as well as help to keep it clean, covering your outdoor furniture is often a foolproof way to get it to last longer. Just remember what you are covering it from –
- Water-resistant table and chairs covers are probably not your top priority given the lack of rainfall in the country generally, however you do want to make sure that what you buy has UV ray protection to keep the colour strong.
- It’s not just furniture that needs protecting, don’t forget to protect your grill from the elements as well. Making sure it is stored in a shaded area will help against the harsh wear and tear of the sun.
Keep It Elsewhere:
As hard as you try, cleaning and covering might not do enough for some of your outdoor furniture without the necessary act of also storing it away.-
- If you have space, there are some great options on the market for storing soft-furnishings in weatherproof containers that can be kept outside. This is especially great for those cushions that can’t easily be washed.
- Don’t overlook the idea of bringing what you can indoors, especially if you know it won’t get any action in the coming months anyway. You might find that the outdoor coffee table makes for a great lego station in the living room corner, or even that your patio chair is surprisingly way comfier than your current wing chair.
The main thing to keep in mind for saving your outdoor furniture through the summer months is to not forget about it and expect it to still be as you left it. You may not be able to take soap and sponge to it as often as you do indoors, but don’t wait till October comes around to give it some care and attention. Even if you implement just one or two of the tips above, you could still be saving the beloved pieces for another season of memory-making.
You can buy Zoflora for AED39.90 from all major UAE eCommerce platforms – Amazon, Noon, Mumzworld, Firstcry, Carrefour and in retail stores: Waitrose, Spinneys, Lulu, Choitrams, Aswaaq, Grandiose, Geant, Union Co-Op, Abu Dhabi Coop, HomeSmith & on apps: NowNow, Instashop, El Grocer.
Let us know your tips for preserving your goodies through the UAE summers in the comments below and remember to tag @homeclubme on your IG.