Alyssa Mariano, co-founder and CEO of Bazaara, the UAE’s largest peer-to-peer community marketplace app for buying and selling pre-loved fashion and accessories, explains how to incorporate pre-loved items into your home.
We know we must all do our part for the environment, right? Especially as this year is the UAE Year of Sustainability. But how do you balance a love of interior decor, furniture and design trends with environmental concerns?
There’s no need to feel guilty – especially if you understand how to mix pre-loved furniture pieces with new pieces.
It’s a simple solution to make your home a touch more sustainable, while also moving away from that generic, trend-based style it’s so easy to slip into.
Today people are more inclined to consider sustainable furniture, with the rise in environmental concerns. Did you know the furniture industry is one of the most polluting sectors? People throw away millions of tons of furniture every year and these sadly end up in landfills, incinerators and even the ocean. In fact, some 9.5 million tons of furniture end up in U.S. landfills every year. The same applies to fast fashion consumerism and waste, Bazaara, also caters to pre-loved fashion for those looking for a sustainable bargain!
As well as keeping an eye out for pre-loved pieces that might add a refreshing pop of colour to your room, or create an eye-catching statement, you can also buy sustainable furniture – designed with a focus on reducing the environmental impact of production, using eco-friendly materials.
But producing new furniture often requires the use of non-renewable resources such as wood, plastic and metal, which can contribute to deforestation, habitat destruction and pollution.
Consider pre-loved furniture as an easy sustainable win – and it can save you money, too.
Another option is Upcycling. If you see a piece you like, but it perhaps doesn’t fit your current home aesthetic, you might consider altering the piece by painting it, staining it, re-upholstering it (with sustainable textiles, of course!) or adding features like different handles, stencils or a unique painted design.
Our top tips on incorporating pre-loved pieces into your home
- To ensure a cohesive look, select pieces that complement the new furniture. But remember, use your imagination to bring your own style and flair to the piece.
- Consider choosing pre-loved pieces with similar colours or materials to new items, or mixing different styles for an eclectic look.
- When selecting pre-loved furniture, inspect it carefully for any damage or wear and tear. But remember, furniture can be easily repaired or enhanced.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with the placement of pre-loved pieces, like using an old dresser as a statement piece in a living room.
- When mixing furniture, look for similar accessories or decor throughout the space. This might include matching throw pillows or a consistent colour scheme, for example.
Who knows? Searching for, and upcycling pre-loved furniture could become your new hobby – and you can be happy in the knowledge that you are being more sustainable.